From 1773 Messrs Raby and Mereton were iron masters occupying Downside Mill near Cobham.  Raby also built Tinmans Row, a rare survival in this part of the country of early industrial workers’ cottages.

In February 1774, Alexander and his wife Ann had a son whom they named Alexander. One can only speculate as to whether it was this son who started the banking business in about 1801, although Alexander senior almost certainly provided the capital.  The bank is listed as existing in 1802, drawing upon Esdaile & Co.  No other details are known about the bank, nor about any note issue.

The bank ceased trading by about 1810 when Alexander moved to Wales.